What: Critique Mania: Fifty writers (plus!) from the US and Europe will to do critiques of your writing!
When: Submission between Aug. 1 and Aug. 31, 2007; ms. returned by Sept. 30, 2007.
Where: By mail! No gas to buy, no planes or ferries to catch, no clock to watch!
How: Mail one poem or the first three pages of prose (could be anything from a complete short-short or the opening to a novel) postmarked August 1 - 31. WIWA members request first, second and third choice authors, but when authors are “full,” then material will be sent to next author on the list (alphabetically, according to genre). Non-members’ work will be distributed to the first available author alphabetically, according to genre.
How much: Twenty bucks! ($20.00) plus two stamped envelopes! What a deal! Professional critiques would normally range from $25.00 - $75.00.
Why? Because this is a terrific benefit to the submitters AND because ALL the proceeds go to support the Whidbey Island Writer’s Association magazine, Soundings.
Soundings Magazine will publish creative nonfiction, poetry and fiction. Guidelines on the back
Soundings Magazine, Whidbey Island Writers Association
PO Box 1289, Langley, WA 98236 360-331-6714
WIWA is a not for profit 501 c 3 organization
1. Submit one poem of up to thirty lines or the first three pages (700 words), double-spaced and 12-point font, of prose (any genre). Must be postmarked between Aug. 1 – Aug. 31.
2. Include two stamped envelopes: one will be a return envelope to you with your address on it; the other will be used to forward your material to an author for a critique; do not address this one. Required.
3. Items to include:
(as stated above) Your manuscript. A cover letter with your name, address, email and phone number. A check for $20 made out to Soundings. If you are a WIWA member, include your first, second and third choice author
preference (if all of these are “full,” your material will be sent to the next
author on the list by genre). WIWA members will have preference in each day’s
If you’re not a WIWA member and you wish to join and list your top three
preferences for author critique, include a membership check for $20 made out to
WIWA (in addition to the critique fee).
To learn about this great organization, check out activities on the Web: http://www.writeonwhidbey.org/.
The names of authors available to critique your work are posted on the WIWA Website http://www.writeonwhidbey.org/.
4. Mail the above items to:
Soundings Critique Mania
Whidbey Island Writers Association
PO Box 1289
Langley, WA 98260.
5. Up to three submissions are allowed; please use separate SASE and envelope for each submission (they might go to different authors).
6. To repeat: material will be disbursed to authors based on genre and alphabetical order EXCEPT for WIWA members first choices, as possible (see number 3 above).
7. Authors who do critiques will not be contacting submitters; submitters agree not to contact the authors about the critiques. If there are concerns or questions about critiques, contact Marian Blue through WIWA: firstname.lastname@example.org
8. If all authors are “full,” your submission and check(s) will be returned to you.