About WV Writers
Established in 1977, West Virginia Writers, Inc. is the largest all-volunteer, writers' resource and service organization serving literary interests in West Virginia.
We are founded on the fundamental principle that the written word is one of the most distinguishing characteristics of all human endeavors. Our aim is to expand and develop creative writing and professional opportunities for writers and to connect the state's writers with others in the literary community and the public at large.
WV Writers sponsors both an annual writers conference and an annual writing competition.
Mission and Goals
- Support and encourage serious writing activities within the writing community
- Establish a networking system for writers
- Promote writing as an artform
- Give voice to our people and way of life
- Expose the public, particularly our children, to the importance of writing
- Encourage appreciation of the literary arts
- Expand the horizons and deepen the appreciation of life, culture and communication among writers and all citizens of West Virginia.
As an organization, we respect diversity, embrace inclusion, and will never endorse any discriminatory practices in any form toward any writer. We do not discriminate on the basis of political, religious, or other views. We're a group composed of a wide range of viewpoints and belief systems, and we like it that way. Your interests, viewpoints, and opinions are a vital brushstroke in the colorful landscape of literary life.
Officers and Staff
- President -- M. Lynne Squires, Scott Depot
- 1st Vice President -- Cole Smith, Washington
- 2nd Vice President -- Lisa Hayes-Minney, Glenville
- Treasurer -- Sharon Waters, Beckley
- Secretary -- Amy Deal, Huntington
- Parliamentarian -- Laura Jackson, Wheeling
- President Emeritus -- Brad Mills, Charleston
- Tim Huguenin, Newsletter editor
- Carter Taylor Seaton, Contest Coordinator
WV Writers utilizes volunteer representatives from 10 multi-county regions of the state as a resource in each geographical area.
- Region 1 -- Lisa Hayes-Minney (Clay, Gilmer, Braxton, Roane, Calhoun)
- Region 2 -- Shannon Bennett Campbell (Pendleton, Randolph, Pocahontas, Webster)
- Region 3 -- Cheryl Kula (Greenbrier, Monroe, Nicholas, Summers)
- Region 4 -- Audrey Stanton-Smith (McDowell, Fayette, Mercer, Raleigh, Wyoming)
- Region 5 -- Shelley Schiavone (Cabell, Lincoln, Logan, Mingo, Wayne)
- Region 6 -- Betsy Allen (Boone, Kanawha, Putnam)
- Region 7 – Heather Noble (Jackson, Mason, Wood, Pleasants, Ritchie, Wirt)
- Region 8 -- John Harris (Brooke, Hancock, Marshall, Ohio, Tyler, Wetzel, Doddridge)
- Region 9 -- Julia Todd, and Lisa McCombs (Barbour, Harrison, Lewis, Marion, Monongalia, Preston, Taylor Tucker, Upshur)
- Region 10 -- Tom Donlon, (Berkeley, Grant, Hampshire, Hardy, Jefferson, Mineral, Morgan)
March 31 -- Last day to submit to the 2023 Writing Competition!
June 9-11 -- Annual Spring Conference at Cedar Lakes in Ripley, WV